Sunday, March 12, 2006

Saturday Recap

Didn't do any car-shopping (yet) this weekend. Well, I spent an hour on AutoTrader looking stuff up, so maybe that counts... instead of going by make or model, I just typed in a price range to see what came up. Ironically enough the first vehicle was a Chevy pickup! (We've had 3, and most of our family members have or had Chevy trucks. There are currently 5 in my immediate circle ranging from '86 to '04.)

Found a Subaru Legacy GT for a good price, read the details and drooled a bit. Too bad it's silver. I'm aiming for BLUE this time, people. As in cobalt or indigo, not teal or turquoise. Other options are that metallic burnt-orange I've always liked and bright yellow, but my hubby hates yellow cars. I'm thinking high visibility in bad weather but he isn't going for it. He wasn't even swayed by a Jeep Wrangler in yellow and he'd love to have another "real" Jeep. Bleah.

Also happened upon a couple of totally impractical cars, ones I'd never really consider but it was neat to see we *could* get if we wanted to. Like a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder. A Mercedisease-Benz. Pontiac Firebird, though I couldn't find a black one with the Ram Air induction or I'd have been tempted. Several late-90s to early 2000s Mustang convertibles. (How do you write that? Early 00s? Sounds like breakfast cereal.) Also found a couple Solara convertibles in my range, though every one had over 100K. Yeah yeah, it's a Toyota, it's just getting broken in, but I'm not spending the cost of a new economy car on something with that many miles on it. There's a fine line between broken in and just broken. There were NO Subaru Bajas in my selected price range, and only 2WD Matrixes.

Interestingly, the majority of the vehicles that came up were Ford Taurus, Jeep Cherokee, and Honda Civic, followed by pickup trucks. A lot of VW Golfs too. I segued over to the VW website and learned that a brand-new Golf starts at 16 grand. Hmmmmmm. If I wasn't so paranoid about new VWs and the horrendous repair stories I've heard I might look into it further. The last VW I had was a 75 Beetle. I wonder if you can get that classic "musty vinyl smell" with a new one. I kinda miss it.



Story Time: On the way to work yesterday I saw a car I'd looked at when it was for sale a couple of years ago. 1980 (don't laugh) Pontiac Sunbird coupe. It was strictly nostalgic, as I owned two of them, '77 and '79, both coupes, not the roachy-looking hatchback. This one is black and has the 3.8l V6, same as the engine in my current Buick, which is one of the reasons I didn't buy it. I'm reallyreally tired of working on those engines. The other reason was that the seller wanted $3500 for it. For an '80 Sunbird! Don't know what he was smoking. Car still looks great but that was way too much for it. I still like them though. It's hard to find one that hasn't been tubbed and modded for racing. My green '77 was a great little scooter. Three things I'll never forget about that car: One, no A/C, California summers and black vinyl interior made for a lot of scorched thighs. Two, someone broke into it once and swiped my sunglasses and a raincoat, and about a month later I spotted an old Mexican woman wearing my coat. I didn't say anything. Three, the man I bought it from liked it so much that when I moved he bought it back from me. Last I heard it was living in San Francisco.

No comments: