Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I can get a what?

Deciding to buy a car instead of another truck opens up a whole world of options. Instead of "Should I get a Tacoma, or a Ranger?" it's "Oh wow... I never considered a ragtop before!"

Fuel economy and dependability are still the major factors. I have a lot of research to do before I commit to a vehicle, but ya know, I was looking at a Chrysler Crossfire and thinking "Hey, that's kinda cute..." The thought lasted a mere ten seconds, but the fact that I thought about it at all surprised me. I realized that for the first time, I don't have to buy a completely practical car... I can have a bit of fun!

Following that train of thought while browsing the Toyota lineup, I read up on the Solara convertible. Ooh, a drop-top Camry! A FUN Toyota! Then I checked used prices and, after snorting ice water out of my nose, forgot about it. If a used car costs enough to give me brain freeze it is no longer an option. (See Barrett-Jackson link for classic examples... you'll cry.)

I like convertibles, at least the look of some of them, but I prefer hardtops. The area where we live is just chock-full o' critters, both wild and domestic and mostly large. Bears, deer, cows, and horses aplenty here. And the deer must have interbred with squirrels or lemmings because they're suicidal. I swerved to go around one that was almost to the edge of the road, and the dang thing stopped and backed up in front of the truck. Damage: fender trim ripped off and took out entire left side of dual exhaust. Speed: approx. 40MPH and braking. Compensation: none. The deer somehow launched over the embankment (lemmings, I tell you!) and fell into the creek below, no retrieval possible.

So what I'm saying is if I'm going to drive anything smaller than a fullsize pickup, Bronco, or large old land yacht with its own zip code, I would like some solidarity going on overhead in case a deer or stray cow happens to land on the roof. I'm not even real fond of sunroofs or T-tops (exception made for Grand National, natch). A rollcage would be great. Please do not suggest a Jeep. Don't want a Jeep, and in spite of the passing interest in the Crossfire I have no intention of buying any Daimler-Chrysler product. So those are out too.

This explains perfectly why I was just checking out Volkswagen Cabriolet/Cabrio convertibles. *eyeroll* Yep, waaaay over there on the exact opposite end of what I just described. Dunno why, but I always thought they were neat, and it's one of the very few cars I like in red. Looks great with a white top. I have no concept of practicality, do I? Knowing I'm no longer bound by that premise I've gone off the deep end. On the other hand, those little boxes were pretty good on gas!

Honestly, I could probably live with a ragtop, especially after a little road trip we took last year. My husband loves the new Mustangs so I surprised him by renting one for the day. No coupes available but it was such a beautiful, perfect day I was glad we went topless. (My review of the Mustang was less than stellar, since it was NOT designed for short persons like myself, but my very tall hubby had no complaints at all.) Other than seat height and visibility issues, I had a great time cruising and the car was a blast to drive. If it came with a booster seat I'd consider it.

[reality] Back to Subaru. [/reality] I'm kinda stuck on that Baja.

No comments: