Sunday, July 23, 2006

Color Wheels

As I mentioned in the Viper post, I've been partial to blue cars with white stripes for a long time. Ever since I saw a photo of a skunk-striped '68 Camaro, I've drooled... add that color scheme to a mid-60's Mustang fastback, Chevelle, Dodge Ram; whatever the vehicle, it will catch my eye.

When hubby and I were truck-hunting a few years ago, the one thing we agreed on was that the truck would be medium to dark blue. Unless, of course, a really sharp dark green one came along at the right price. But the Bronco swayed us. While it's technically blue (according to the paint specs), it isn't a shade we'd have normally considered, and I still say it's lavender. The silver second color makes it look sharp so I'm not complaining.

So... now we're car-hunting, and of course "blue" was my first and foremost request. After six months of eyeballing cars I realized that I've also been attracted to that metallic orange color so prevalent now. I really noticed it for the first time some 10 years ago on a Mitsubishi Eclipse and since then it's been in my peripheral vision. (I believe I referred to it as "burnt pumpkin" back then.) For a while I had my mind made up- Toyota in indigo- but with so many cars out there to choose from, wishy-washiness was inevitable. The blue that Mazda is using on their cars is quite nice, but the same model in orange drags my eyes to it like a tractor beam. Then, of course, there's that funky mint/pea/sage green on the Malibu and Subaru, among others, and that's turning my head as well. (The only downside to that one: manufacturers seem to put tan/beige interiors in all green cars. I want gray or charcoal; I hate beige.)

Not only do I have to make up my mind on which CAR to get, but now which COLOR. Will it be the initial indigo Toyota? If so, which model; the Corolla LE, Corolla S, or Matrix? What if a good deal on a Camry comes along? How about that orange Mazda6? Or the blue one? Or a green Impala or Legacy? And just to throw a wrench in the gears, I really like the black-and-silver Bajas. I have never been fond of black, red, or white cars but that one looks good to me. So does yellow. Maybe a yellow Mazda3 or Baja... My husband hates yellow cars/trucks but that's another color that (on certain vehicles) strikes my fancy. He told me "get what you want, you're the one driving it." Ack! I hope, come February, that a vehicle speaks to me like our Bronco did. When that happens, all bets are off... I could end up bringing home a red Buick wagon. *sigh*

Oh wait, I DO want a red Buick wagon... this one:
Have seen it twice parked next to the Carlisle grounds. LOVE it!!!

No comments: