Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Almost Time for a Ford Overload!

Just two more days to get through in this insane muggy heat, then we're off... to roam around for two days in the insane, muggy heat. But we'll be at Carlisle so that makes it fun, right?

Well of COURSE it does! Thousands of cars to admire and appreciate, a display celebrating 40 years of the Bronco, a collection of Ford police vehicles... and a whole lot of guests and other special collections. We won't be there until Saturday morning but we'll spend the whole day and probably come back Sunday after we hit the flea market. (About the only thing that can drag me away from the car show; besides, they have tires there and we wanna price-check. So it's related.) ETA: Flea market site has been razed! Anybody wanna buy a backhoe?

I am SO glad we reserved a room when we did! (Had I been thinking ahead a bit more, I'd have booked one for Friday night as well, so we wouldn't have to hit the road by 6AM Saturday morning.) There are none in the area, except a few at exorbitantly jacked-up rates... come on, $115 for a night at the Super 8 Motel? And they sold out! The ritzier places still had some rooms 2 weeks ago ($250 and up) but if that was our only option we'd have either come back home Saturday or found a place to camp instead. We paid a little bit of a markup (about $20 more) booking over a month ago but I learned that most regular showgoers book their rooms six months to a year in advance. Since it's a set date, you know the hotels already factor in the markup for the weekend. I just can't plan that far ahead... most of the time I can't plan as far as next Saturday without having someone call me on Friday night to remind me what I'm supposed to be doing.

Anyway... The Husband and I just browsed through car show photos for half an hour and we are totally pumped and ready! I hope somebody has a Ranchero GT this time. Though I'll be happy with a late-50s model. Here's hoping! Check back next week for a recap and photos!

No comments: